A 5-step simple skincare routine for those that don’t have the time, energy, or budget to follow a 10-step routine. This routine is a simple introduction to the famous 10-step Korean skincare routine. Having to apply so many products can be harmful to the skin if it’s not accustomed and on top of it, it can be intimidating and confusing so it’s better if you introduce new products little by little.
A 10-step, basically, routine consists of 3 steps: clean, treat and protect. Based on those 3 steps you can create a routine that best fits your skin needs and your time, and budget.
Step 1 + 2: Cleansing
1. Oil-based cleanser: You should always start off with an oil-based cleanser since they help remove all the excess sebum, makeup, and sunscreen.
2. Water-based cleanser: The water-based will help you remove all the sweat, dirt, and residue left.
2.5. Exfoliator (2-3 times a week): exfoliating your skin 2-3 times a week with a chemical or physical exfoliator helps remove all the dead skin cells.
Step 3: Toner
In this step, you want to use your choice of toner to remove any residue and balance out the pH of your skin. It’s an important step since toning your face helps to hydrate, strengthen the skin barrier, and prepare it to absorb the products better.
Step 4: Treat
During the ‘treat’ step you want to address any problem areas you have. This is the step to treat dehydration, acne, dull skin, fine lines, and all sorts of problems. There're hundreds of products that can be used on this step to treat your skin, but the most commons are:
1. Essence: they have a thicker consistency than a toner, but a thinner consistency than ampoules and serums. They contain a lot of active ingredients that are perfect to treat problems like dehydration or dullness. Use them after the toner.
2. Ampoule & Serums: they have a very thick consistency since they’re formulated with more potent, concentrated ingredients therefore you should apply them after toner and essence.
Step 5: Protect
A very important part of any routine is to protect! To protect your skin you should always use a good face & eye cream and in the morning always, always, ALWAYS use SPF!
1. Face cream or moisturizer: Applying a cream as the last step helps the skin lock & seal in all the moisture and nourish it while you sleep.
2. Eye cream: Just like face cream, you need to apply eye cream to protect the thin, sensitive skin around the eye.
3. SPF (morning routine): in the morning routine you should ALWAYS apply as the last step an SPF 50+ to protect your skin from UVA/UVB damage.